If your using FHIR resources to represent your healthcare models, you may run into some issues when building a Node.JS application to work with your FHIR models.
Node.JS is really cool. I like how easy it is to setup an application and get a website running. Its multi-platform support is great, and I hear that it scales pretty good, too. There seems to be a huge trend where everyone wants to use Node.JS, which is pretty cool. However, I’m not entirely certain that it should be used in all projects, just yet.
I tried updating a Latitude E55XX bios today with the latest firmware. It would unpack the firmware and then shutdown, but not actually do the update. Michael and I could not figure out why it was not updating, and spent over an hour searching for a solution; finding none.
Finally we discovered a BIOS setting called “System Management” which was set to “Disabled”. The description of the “System Management” option was very vague. On a last-ditch effort, I decided to turn it on with full support, and found that I could then update the BIOS.
It seems that the “System Management” option is some sort of lock so that you cannot update BIOS. Dell has done a poor job of making users aware of this feature. Hopefully this post reaches someone with the same problem, saving them some time.
Also worth noting is that on this machine I had to re-install windows. I did not have the recover disks from Dell, so I just installed windows itself. I went to activate windows but could not find the windows product key ANYWHERE on the bottom of the laptop. I ended up calling Dell’s tech support and they were a little stumped themselves. We assumed that whoever had the laptop last removed the windows product key. However, while on the line with Dell’s tech support, I took a stab in the dark at removing the battery pack just to be certain, and sure enough, there was the windows product key.
SO, if you ever need to look up your windows product key, don’t forget to check under the battery pack.
Recently I worked on a project that was developed entirely using Node.JS. There was a need to integrate the application with an XDS registry/repository, which exposed its functionality via SOAP services. I investigated soap client interfaces for Node.JS, and found three; node-soap, easysoap, and douche. After testing each of them against the XDS registry/repository, none of them seemed capable of handling a WSDL that made use of complex objects. It seems to me that those soap client modules only work with SOAP services that expose very simple actions.
Ultimately, I had to scrap the notion of using a single module, and implemented my own solution with a couple different modules. The solution is not perfect, but it worked better than any of the others that I found.